Huntsville History

Home

The Village of Huntsville is a small community of about 450, located 40.44
degrees north of the equator and 83.80 degrees west of the prime meridian in
north central Logan County, Ohio.

Huntsville was platted, on land previously owned by George Hover and Thomas
Wishart, shortly after the survey of the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
was completed in the mid-1800s

Incorporation came in December 1865 and the first election of officers was
conducted the following April, with voters selecting Sidney B. Foster as the
first mayor and William W. Beatty, William T. Herron, J.H.  Harrod, A.
Bartholomew and Josiah Carr for council. David Carr was the recorder and
Joseph Carr treasurer.

With the coming of the rail system, Huntsville began to see a surge of
business and residential growth, while the Village of Cherokee on Cherokee
Mans Run creek about a mile southeast of the village started to decline. The
advantages of the rail system through Huntsville lead Cherokee business
owners to relocate closer to the depot.

Thomas Wishart erected the first house in village in 1844. In 1847, Samuel
Harrod built a hotel near the train depot. It was destroyed by fire in the
summer of 1850 but was rebuilt. The first brick structure, built in 1848 by
Messrs. Buell and Dodson, was also the first store.

The first post office, originally that of Cherokee, was established in 1830
and moved to Huntsville around 1850.

The Huntsville Special School District was formed about the same time the
village was incorporated, with two school rooms and about 150 students,
according to the Logan County Historical Society.

Huntsville's population in 1880 was 430 and is much the same today.
 

2004 SeeIndianLake.Net All Rights Reserved